Sunday, August 7, 2011

My Review of EMS Men's Deluge Rain Jacket

Originally submitted at Eastern Mountain Sports

Featuring high-performance Gore-Tex Paclite, our lightest-weight waterproof, highly breathable jacket will keep you dry on extended expeditions and packs away with ease. 100% polyester ripstop fabric with a DWR (durable water repellent) finish. Shell fabric backed by Gore-Tex Paclite membrane for...


This Jacket Stood the Test for Me

By XtremeClimber from glen rock, NJ on 8/7/2011

 

5out of 5

Fit: Feels true to size

Sleeve Length: Feels true to length

Chest Size: Feels true to size

Pros: Comfortable, Warm, Breathable, Lightweight, Windproof

Best Uses: Wet Weather, Hiking and Camping

Describe Yourself: Avid Adventurer

Was this a gift?: No

I happened to stop by EMS in Paramus on a day they were offering 25% off on all EMS apparel. Needing a good waterproof jacket for some time, the sales guy pointed me to the Deluge and recommended I get the medium, even though it felt a little on the big side. This turned out to be good advice because it leaves room to wear a sweater or soft shell jacket underneath without feeling squeezed. Although the sleeves were long for me, the velcro cuffs let you cinch them up around your wrists so they don't interfere with your hands. As I later found out, the option to un-cinch them and tuck your hands inside is invaluable if you find yourself without gloves in freezing rain and gale force winds on the summit of Mt Marcy!
Although my shirt was totally drenched and I was starting to shiver by the time I conceded I would have to interrupt my speed climb to put on my jacket, the EMS Deluge did a great job of keeping me warm considering the 40F temps, 60-70MPH winds and steady rain.
Although I have yet to try it out in a true deluge, based on my experience riding motorcycles in all kinds of weather, a 60MPH wind will force a surprising amount of water through even the smallest leak point in your rain gear. I made a point of checking the inside of this jacket when I got back to the parking lot at the Loj and saw no sign that water had come through any of the seams or zippers.
Bottom line is I'm glad I spent the extra money on this model.
Note: Even though these jackets run big, I rated it true to size since you really should get one that fits loosely enough to wear something warm underneath when it get's really cold out.

(legalese)

No comments: