Sunday, May 22, 2011

My Review of ASTRAL BUOYANCY V-Eight Life Vest

Originally submitted at Eastern Mountain Sports

Perfect for hot days on the water, the Astral Bouyancy° V Eight with unique Airescape Technology that limits the PFD's contact surface with the body and allows air to flow out through ventilating ports in the front and back.


Quality Product but Bulky

By XtremeClimber from New Jersey on 5/22/2011

 

3out of 5

Chest Size: Feels too small

Pros: Adjustable, Lightweight, Good Ventilation

Cons: Hard to Adjust

Best Uses: Canoeing, Paddling, Boating

Describe Yourself: Beginner

Was this a gift?: No

I purchased this PFD because the construction definitely felt like it allowed better air circulation than the other, less expensive model I tried on. Used it in a kayak for about an hour on a calm lake on a humid 75F day and it was not hot at all.
What I didn't like was the thickness of the flotation which pressed into my kidney area when leaning against the seatback. In hindsight I should have gone somewhere else and bought one with a thinner flotation material that extended further down towards my tailbone so I had a more uniform surface on the back section. Although it appears to be a high quality product, you really don't need to spend this much for casual paddling.

(legalese)

No comments: